10 April 2007

DIY Mishaps

Tech- Supports R Us


I have spent large portions of daylight in the past few days trying to solve a problem that involves (tantantaratara-background music) two different companies.To protect their identities, the company names are changed and I will call them "Pewlett Hackard" and "Z-Link."

I believe I have talked to all the employees including the janitors at both companies at least twice.

Each time I get to a new person, I explain my problem, and each time the person I'm talking to -- who really, really wants to help me with my problem -- decides, after much review and conferring while I remain on hold, that I need to talk to another person.

This has become my latest pastime. I wake up,brush my teeth, & drink my coffee while calling my new friends at Pewlett and at Link. I am sooooo pathetic! Waaah!

OK, for the benefit of those computer geeks who are looking for details, here is my problem.

If you are searching for entertainment however, do not read further.

I am trying to activate a Z-Link broadband modem on a Pewlett Hackard notebook computer (the Gimpaq Senario X1000), which is a beautiful laptop that I really like) (except for this problem) (and yes, Apple people, I know that Apples are perfect and NEVER have any technical problems; I actually own an Apple,(i Pod) which I liked a lot at first, but for different things, but you're kidding yourself, Apples have problems too, especially your stupid i Pods. And I discovered a worm in the fruit as well!


The thing is, when I bought the notebook, I assumed it came with the broadband modem installed. But apparently it did not.

So I bought the modem (it's the BLT905K model) which according to Z-link is plug and play and can be (tantantaratara) installed by the customer.

I installed it. But I cannot make it work.

I spent a genoooooooorrrrmous amount of time on the phone with Z-link, and they are absolutely positively certain that they have my POP3, SMTP, IP address and Subnet Mask Numbers correct in their system. (No, I don't know what all those numbers are, but you need them, and I have them, and by golly it is correct.)

I also spent a major amount of time on the phone with Pewlett Hackard, particularly a very nice and profoundly patient tech-support lass named Pratima whose soft, langorous voice I have fallen in love with, who ran some kind of remote diagnostic program that enabled her to actually send pretty pictures to my screen, which was awesome, but that did not really help.

Pratima, after trying many things, believes my modem is working properly (even though I installed it) and so far she is stumped if she can figure out why the dam thing will not connect to the network.

So I am going to try moving my notebook to the loo, to see if maybe it's just not getting the signal (which I doubt is the problem, because my old PC worked fine in the same spot with a Z-link broadband modem) (but you never know).

If that doesn't work, I will have to go to another Gimpaq department, “FAQ’s R Us”.

But Pratima gave me all her contact info, and promises that if I need more help, she will be there for me. Maybe I’ll ask her out on a date.

I warned you not to read that. But you wouldn't listen.......

FINALLY: It’s fixed! The problem was -- why I am not surprised? -- me. I did a crappy job of installing the modem, and specifically attaching the ADSL cable to the teeny little line-out connector.

What did you expect? I’m no rocket scientist!

The solution was suggested by Ronny the Banking.com guy, at whose feet I prostrate in gratitude.
With the help of my neighbours 7-year old son, who, unlike me, can see small things, I took the connectors off and reattached them, and for now it seems to be working.
I am much relieved, though I will miss all my tech-support friends.

I also thank all the janitorial staff and persons who came forward with helpful suggestions, even the ones who are clearly mentally challenged.

2 comments: